CALL FOR ENTRIES IS NOW CLOSED
2018 USM Outdoor Sculpture Competition
The University of Southern Mississippi and the College of Arts and Letters are proud to announce a Call for Entries for the third biennial USM Outdoor Sculpture Competition. The University of Southern Mississippi main campus is in beautiful Hattiesburg, Miss. about 60 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico.
The competition seeks five stunning outdoor sculptures to be exhibited on campus for an
18-month duration. Installation will be September 13-14, 2018 and the sculptures will be
de-installed in March of 2020. Please do not apply for show if you need heavy equipment and cannot install on these days.
Check out the Facebook page of the 2016 exhibition: https://www.facebook.com/USMoutdoorsculpture/
· This call is open to international artists/teams 18 years of age and older.
· Work must be available for the entire exhibition period (September 2018–March 2020).
· Work previously exhibited on campus is not eligible.
· Selected Artists will receive a $2,000 honorarium. All travel costs for delivery and pick up of the artwork or costs incurred by the artists for their own personal travel/accommodations, are the responsibility of the artist. Special installation hardware other than standard concrete anchor bolt(s) is the responsibility of the artist.
· Pending grant approval, we will be offering an additional $200 in funds and accommodations for artists to present a lecture and interact with the students and public. PLEASE indicate if you would be willing to do this.
· Artists will be responsible for providing an artist statement, biography and headshot (or selfie) for inclusion in a catalog.
DEADLINE TO APPLY
Complete applications must be received by 5 p.m. on April 27, 2018. Applications must be electronic. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. No materials will be returned. LOCATION
· The artworks will be installed on one of five concrete pads located throughout the Southern Miss Hattiesburg campus. The selection committee will decide the final location of the selected works.
· All pads are ground level; unless a base is incorporated into the design and construction of a piece all works are bolted at ground level.
· Work will be insured for the duration of the exhibition only.
· Work may be of any media, but must be impervious to the elements and require no maintenance. Safety, the use of non-hazardous materials and durability are essential considerations.
· Works requiring electricity/water or other utilities will not be considered.
· Work must be suitable for display in a public setting and can withstand adverse weather conditions that include high winds and lots of rain/humidity.
· Work should be appropriate for an active pedestrian environment.
· Work must be able to be secured using anchor bolts.
· Work must be available for installation September 13-14, 2018. Proposals for unbuilt work will not be accepted.
· Work must be available for the duration of the exhibition.
· Southern Miss personnel will provide a forklift and other installation services, but the artist will be required to direct complicated installations and provide any specialized hardware needed for installation.
Application Deadline: April 27, 2018
Finalists Notified: May 18, 2018
Contracts Completed: July, 2018
Installation: September 13-14, 2018
Opening Reception and Campus Walk About: Mid-September 2018, TBA
De-installation: March 2020
The Exhibition Selection Panel will include representatives from the campus community including representatives from the College or Arts and Letters, the Department of Art and Design, and the student body. Works will first be assessed for durability and structural integrity. Those works accepted will go on to the selection committee. We will use a blind review process, so please make sure identifying information is not imbedded in the image(s) you send.
Each artist or artist team may submit up to three works of art for consideration (however, only one work per artist or team will be selected). Applications must be received by 5 p.m. Central Daylight Time on Friday, April 27, 2018. There is no application fee. USM Sculpture Competition should be in the subject line of all emails.
The following materials will be required,
· Short two-page résumé, .doc, .docx or .pdf, only. Please include contact information.
· Digital Images. Images of up to three works (made within the last 5 years-original completion date). Please send a maximum of three images of any one work. Please label the images lastnameA.jpg, lastnameB.jpg. For example torresA.jpg, torresB.jpg, etc. Images should be 300 dpi at about 4×6 inches.
· Slide key-please send a document or PDF file that lists all the information about the works as it corresponds to the slide images. Make sure you include titles, dates, materials, size of individual piece or overall size of works if it is a multi-part installation. Please include any pertinent information about the installation process or special installation requirements. The University of Southern Mississippi reserves the right to reject any work that arrives for installation and differs significantly from application images or has installation requirements different than originally defined.
· Email application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Electronic submission only. You will need to send multiple emails if you have more than one work. Sculpture Competition should be in the subject line of all emails.
For questions, contact Jen Torres at email@example.com, or call 601-266-6032; email is preferred. Do not send submissions to this email address.
Please Click here to Download a PDF of this prospectus: