2021 USM Outdoor Sculpture Competition
The University of Southern Mississippi and the College of Arts and Sciences are proud to announce a Call for Entries for the fourth biennial USM Outdoor Sculpture Competition. The University of Southern Mississippi main campus is in beautiful Hattiesburg, Miss. about 60 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico.
The competition seeks four stunning outdoor sculptures to be exhibited on campus for an 18-month duration. Installation will be September 24-25, 2021 and the sculptures will be de-installed in March of 2023. Please do not apply for the show if you need heavy equipment and cannot install on these days.
- This call is open to international artists/teams 18 years of age and older.
- Work must be available for the entire exhibition period (September 2021–end of March 2023).
- Work previously exhibited on campus is not eligible.
- Selected Artists will receive a license fee in the amount of $2,000 for the use and display of a selected work. All travel costs for delivery and pick up of the artwork or costs incurred by the artists for their own personal travel/accommodations, are the responsibility of the artist. Special installation hardware other than standard concrete anchor bolt(s) is the responsibility of the artist.
- Pending grant approval, we may offer an additional opportunity for artists to appear on our campus and present a lecture and interact with the students and public. The appearance fee and reimbursement of required travel expenses, if any, shall not exceed a total of $250. PLEASE indicate if you would be willing to do this.
- Artists will be responsible for providing an artist statement, biography and headshot (or selfie) for PR purposes.
DEADLINE TO APPLY
Complete applications must be received by 5 p.m. on April 23, 2021. Applications must be electronic. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. No materials will be returned.
- The artworks will be installed on one of five concrete pads located throughout the Southern Miss Hattiesburg campus. The selection committee will decide the final location of the selected works.
- All pads are ground level; unless a base is incorporated into the design and construction of a piece all works are bolted at ground level.
- Work may be of any media, but must be impervious to the elements and require no maintenance. Safety, the use of non-hazardous materials and durability are essential considerations.
- Works requiring electricity/water or other utilities will not be considered.
- Work must be suitable for display in a public setting and can withstand adverse weather conditions that include high winds and lots of rain/humidity.
- Work should be appropriate for an active pedestrian environment.
- Work must be able to be secured using anchor bolts.
- Work must be available for installation September 24-25, 2021. Proposals for unbuilt work will not be accepted.
- Work must be available for the duration of the exhibition.
- Southern Miss personnel will provide a forklift and other installation services, but the artist will be required to direct complicated installations and provide any specialized hardware needed for installation.
Application Deadline: April 23, 2021
Finalists Notified: May 7, 2021
Contracts Completed: June 25. 2021
Installation: September 24-25, 2021
Opening Reception and Campus Walk About: Mid-September 2021, TBA
De-installation: March 2023
The Exhibition Selection Panel will include representatives from the campus community including representatives from the College or Arts and Sciences, the Department of Art and Design, and the student body. Works will first be assessed for durability and structural integrity. Those works accepted will go on to the selection committee. We will use a blind review process, so please make sure identifying information is not imbedded in the image(s) you send.
Each artist or artist team may submit up to three works of art for consideration (however, only one work per artist or team will be selected). Applications must be received by 5 p.m. Central Daylight Time on Friday, April 23, 2021. There is no application fee. USM Sculpture Competition should be in the subject line of all emails.
The following materials will be required,
- Short two-page résumé, .doc, .docx or .pdf, only. Please include contact information.
- Digital Images. Images of up to three works (made within the last 5 years-original completion date). Please send a maximum of three images of any one work. Please label the images lastnameA.jpg, lastnameB.jpg. For example torresA.jpg, torresB.jpg, etc. Images should be 300 dpi at about 4×6 inches. Make sure your name or other identifiable information is not viewable on images.
- Slide key- please send a document or PDF file that lists all the information about the works as it corresponds to the slide images. Make sure you include
- titles, dates, materials,
- size of individual piece or overall size of works if it is a multi-part installation.
- Foot print size
- Please include any pertinent information about the installation process or installation equipment requirements.
- Please provide insurance value of work.
- The University of Southern Mississippi reserves the right to reject any work that arrives for installation and differs significantly from application images or has installation requirements different than originally defined.
- Email application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Electronic submission only. You may need to send multiple emails if you have more than one work. Sculpture Competition should be in the subject line of all emails.
For questions, contact Jen Torres at email@example.com. Do not send submissions to this email address.
4831-8810-9277, v. 2